Friday, December 2, 2011

Snowy Woods and Advent ATC 2

I have two things to share today, a snowy scene and the second of my Advent ATCs.

I made this scene for a swap to include a river and a forest. I went for a snowy look, but with a not yet frozen river. Lots of new November snow, but not yet cold enough for ice on the river/stream. I think the river perhaps looks a bit too blue, I could have added some more grey to the water.


In my first attempt at this scene, I stamped out everything in dark blue ink, but I just didn’t get the feeling I wanted. Instead I tried stamping the snow with Memento London Fog and did the rest of the stamping with Jet Black ink, except for the water which was stamped with Stonewashed. The deer were stamped first and masked, then the snowy ground stamps were stamped repeatedly to create the river and the snow around it. Finally, the snowy trees were stamped. I added a bit of grass with black ink to the snow to create more texture.

The scene is done on glossy cardstock and coloured with dye and pigment inks using a Colorbox Stylus tool. The dye inks in the supply list were used, starting with the lighter shades, and making sure to leave large areas mainly white. Snow and highlights were added with a white gel pen and white pigment ink was added in many places to create a frosty feeling. The foreground branches were stamped in both black dye and white pigment ink and a grass stamp was stamped with white pigment ink all over the scene, also in the sky.

Supplies: Sutter stamps: Snowy Fir Tree Large F-1261 Snowy Ground Set H-1256 Snowy Fir Medium C-1262 Snowy Fir Set Small E-1260, Deer Couple Medium E-1462, grass; Stampscapes: Prickly Branches 272G, Seaside Cove Sm. 308G, Rock 130B, Rocks and Grass 301A, Pebbles 256A, Tall Grass Sm. 254B; Adirondack: Aqua, Stonewashed, Slate, Pebble, Mushroom, Pitch Black; Memento London Fog; Archival Ink Jet Black; Colorbox Frost White; white gel pen; Kromekote glossy cardstock.

Here’s the ATC for the second of December in my ATC Advent Calender.


Watercolour paper was dipped into Distress Inks which had been smeared and misted on my craft sheet. Then it was misted a bit with red mist. The heart is die cut from grungepaper and embossed with about 4 layers of UTEE, finishing with one layer of red embossing powder. While it was still hot, a number ‘2’ stamp was stamped into it, the number stamp was first inked with gold ink. I love the sentiment on this ATC.

Supplies: Fancy Pants sentiment stamp; Making Memories wing stamps; Distress Ink: Fired Brick, Faded Jeans, Fired Brick reinker; grungepaper; UTEE; red embossing powder (I am not sure who makes the crown stamp, maybe 7Gypsies).

5 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful serene card, so perfect for the season. And your ATC is so colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snow scene card is beautiful. I enjoyed reading about how you made it--what worked, what didn't. It's lovely.

    Your second ATC is wonderful. The sentiment and the art work are perfect together. Great job with the UTEE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your snow scene is perfect. I love the color effect you achieved. I have those stamps on order and can't wait to get them. I can't believe I didn't already have them. Nice ATC as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your snowy scene! Gorgeous snow effects. The ATC has a wonderful sentiment on it. I like adding the colur that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful winter scene! I am going to have to check out Sutter stamps for the snowy ground ones. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!