Saturday, December 22, 2012

CSI case file #51: Santa is coming

Hello! Only two more days to Christmas, and we have another lovely CSI case file. Don't miss checking out the wonderful inspiration by the DT and guests:


I scrapped some Christmas photos from last year:

From the evidence I used: snowflakes, glitter, rhinestones, circles, texture paste, wet and dry embossing and something shiny. I journaled on tags, and it is all about the sparkle of Christmas.

I used watercolour paper as the base for my layout. Heavy modeling paste was applied through stencils to create the stars and the circles. After they dried, I used my favourite way for quick colouring, distress stains. Tumbled Glass, Broken China and Brushed Pewter stains were applied to my craft sheet. I misted the watercolour paper heavily before dipping and dragging into the ink. It is hard to see on the photos, but the Brushed Pewter stain adds a great metallic shine.

When dry, a script and a dot stamp were silver embossed here and there on the background and it was splattered with just a little bit of Picket Fence distress stain (which had been transferred to a mini mister).

The flourishes were die cut from watercolour paper and coloured with Brushed Pewter stain. I made a tag booklet for the journaling and for additional photos. I had quite a few photos from my son's interaction with Santa. Swedish Santas come knocking on the door on the evening of Christmas Eve and hands out the gifts. Anton's first reaction to Santa was that he wore glasses, which was interesting since at this stage he was very interested in mommy and daddy's glasses. I think Santa is going to have a harder time hiding his identity this year. The tag book hangs from a swivel clasp, so it is easy to open and look through. The journaling is about the 'glasses' comment, Anton's interaction with Santa, and about the gifts he got, Thomas the train being a favourite, as well as his 'Laban' ghost which has become his pillow.

Inspired by the case file photo, I wanted to make some baubles. Mat board was covered with aluminium tape and baubles die cut from it. They were embossed in three different folders and coloured with alcohol inks (shades of pink and pearl), wiping some of it off from the embossed parts. I used crinkle ribbon to hang them from the page.

Here's a close up of the stars and the silver embossing.

Apart from the tag booklet, there is another interactive element on the layout, the super fun Door by Karen Burniston (also see this project of mine). The door was die cut once from watercolour paper, and then the frame and other details were die cut again from mat board, mounted on top. I smeared texture paste all over it (same technique that I used on my Winter Wonderland house). The wreath were coloured with Brushed Pewter stain.

Behind the door, there is another photo. It would also be a great place for journaling.

The Fancy Frame was die cut from mat board, and the frame part was coloured with Worn Lipstick Distress Stain and coated with Glossy Accents.

The other two ornaments, chit chat stickers were adhered on top.

I attached the swivel clasp with a brad, hitting the brad with a hammer to make it stick down firmly.

The lamppost was also die cut from mat board and got the same treatment as the door. A piece of mirror sheet was placed behind lamppost (inspired my December tag). I also added a bit of cheese cloth for extra texture.

Thank you for looking! I hope you will play along with us at CSI this week.

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Stamps: Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz Classics #9, Tiny Textures
Ink: Alcohol Ink: Adirondack: Wild Plum, Pink Sherbet, Raspberry, Pearl; Versamark
Stain: Distress Stain: Brushed Pewter, Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Worn Lipstick
Embossing powder: Silver
Surface: Dalerl & Rowney watercolour paper; Sizzix Little Sizzles white mat board; Tim Holtz Idea-ology Mirror Sheet; aluminium tape
Stencils: Ranger Dyan Reaveley Dylusions Starry Starry Night; Crafter's Workshop Mini Paint Lids
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Swivel Clasps, Silver Tinsel Twine, Crinkle Ribbon, Tissue Tape, Seasonal Chit Chat stickers; Kaisercraft rhinestones; cheese cloth
Other: heavy modeling paste

3 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous double take pages, love all the details, you have a merry christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your doubles and your concise instructions about your techniques. Thanks Anna-Karin and Happy Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous layout! I love all the textures and dimensions you got by using the paste embossing and adding flourishes and tags.

    The photos are darling!


    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!